Appointment Start and End Dates
Participants will be responsible for coordinating the appointment start and end dates with the hosting facility. Participant may not begin the appointment until the official appointment letter and ORISE terms and conditions are signed. ORISE notification and approval will be required in advance of any changes to the appointment schedule in the appointment letter after it has been signed.
Although awards may be announced in the spring of the year, selected participants should be available to begin their appointment no later than 6 months after being selected. After selections are announced, appointment start dates may be deferred with permission from DOE and ORISE.
Participants commit to full-time, on site participation at the assigned hosting facility. The initial appointment period for is one year. Appointments maybe extended for an additional year. Extension of the appointment for a second year will be subject to satisfactory progress toward completion of the project assignments, and availability of funds.
Participants will be expected to maintain a full-time schedule during the appointment except for normal holidays recognized by the host facility and occasional absences approved by mentor.Back to top
Access to Facilities
While participants will not enter into an employment relationship with FES, ORISE, or any other agency, the hosting facility may require a pre-employment check and/or a full background investigation. Any offer made is considered tentative, pending favorable outcome of the pre-employment check.
Participants are required to have health insurance coverage during the appointment period and must have coverage prior to the start of the appointment. The participant may obtain insurance through ORISE or a provider of their choice.Back to top
Proof of U.S Citizenship or Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) Status is required and selected participants must provide documentation to verify their status. If you are a U.S. citizen, you will be required to return a form along with an acceptable U.S. citizenship document to ORISE. If you are a LPR, you will be required to return a form along with a color copy of the front and back of permanent residence card and a color copy of the ID page of passport to ORISE. Your awardee status is contingent upon having U.S. citizen status or maintaining a valid LPR status. Any change to your citizenship/immigration status must be reported immediately to ORISE.
Verification of Degree
Applicants must have received a doctoral degree in an appropriate science or engineering discipline within three years of the anticipated/expected start date or expect to complete all requirements for such a degree prior to the desired start date.
Written Report and Feedback Form
Participants are required to write a mid-appointment report and a final report about the experience in the program including a description of the research project, accomplishments and the benefits received.Back to top
- Participants do not earn sick leave or personal leave during the appointment period. Participants are responsible for notifying the hosting facility mentor immediately of any absences from the appointment due to illness. Participants must notify ORISE of absences expected to last for more than three consecutive days.
- Time away from the program due to illness and/or personal emergencies will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Participants must notify the hosting facility mentor and ORISE in advance, as soon as possible.
- For holidays, participants must follow the same schedule as the hosting facility.
Policies/regulations of the Hosting Facility
- Appointments are subject to the arrangements between the participant and the host facility regarding the conditions under which the participant may have access to the facility during the internship.
- Participants must adhere to the existing policies, regulations and procedures of the hosting facility.
- Guidelines and procedures for publications, copyrights and patents related to the appointment can be found in the appointment letter. Participants must follow the policies of the hosting facility regarding intellectual property rights and dissemination of research information.