The Summer Research Team Program for Minority Serving Institutions is no longer accepting applications for 2018 internships. The application deadline was December 29, 2017 at 11:59PM EST.
The program requires teams to be composed of one faculty member and up to two students (undergraduate and/or graduate level). Appointments will not be made to teams with no student member(s) or to teams without a faculty member.
General Eligibility Information for All Team Members
- Be at an eligible Minority Serving Institution (MSI) at that time of application.
- Be a United States citizen by the application deadline.
Evidence of U.S. citizenship (such as a photocopy of a U.S. passport, birth certificate, Certificate of U.S. Naturalization, or Certificate of U.S. Citizenship) must be submitted to ORISE at the time award is accepted.
- Participate in the program for ten consecutive weeks during the same period as other team members. Full-time on-site participation at the DHS Center is required.
- Have coverage under a health insurance plan before arriving at the appointment site and maintain coverage during the appointment.
- Meet the requirements for the appropriate applicant level:
Previous participants may apply for a second summer if they meet the conditions listed above.
Institution Eligibility Information
Most accredited U.S. postsecondary institutions that meet the statutory criteria for identification as Minority Serving Institutions are listed at: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/edlite-minorityinst.html
Institutions that meet at least one of the following criteria are eligible:
- Must be an accredited two- or four-year institution of higher education whose enrollment of a single minority or a combination of minorities exceeds 50 percent of the total enrollment (20 U.S.C 1067k(3)); or
- Must be an accredited two- or four-year Historically Black College or University under Title III Part B of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (20 U.S.C. 1060 et seq.); or
- Must be an accredited two- or four-year Hispanic-Serving Institution under Title V of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (20 U.S.C. 1101 et seq.); or
- Must be a Tribal College or University cited in the Equity in Educational Land Grant Status Act of 1994, the Tribally Controlled College or University Assistance Act of 1978, or the Navajo Community College Assistance Act of 1978; or a Native American-Serving, Nontribal Institution as defined by the Department of Education: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/edlite-minorityinst-list-pg9.html; or
- Must be an Alaska Native-serving institution and eligible as such in accordance with 20 U.S.C. 1058(b) and 20 U.S.C. 1059d(b)(2); or
- Must be a Native Hawaiian-serving institution and eligible as such in accordance with 20 U.S.C. 1058(b) and 20 U.S.C. 1059d(b)(4).