Applications and supporting materials must be submitted by the application deadline through the Zintellect Online Application System.
After reviewing the Application Requirements below, please follow the Online Application System Instructions.
Application requirements include:
- Completion of all required fields in the application form, including essays on research and career goals.
- Receipt of a minimum of two references in the Online Application System by the application deadline. See Frequently Asked Questions for guidelines on choosing references.
- Upload of transcripts showing postsecondary grades and current enrollment in courses for Fall 2016. Unofficial transcripts or copies of the student academic records printed by the applicant or by academic advisors from internal institutional systems may be submitted. Note that documents sent by email, postal mail or fax will not be considered.
- Transcripts must include name of the academic institution, name of the student and completed coursework including courses in progress during Fall 2016 and grades through Summer 2016; Fall 2016 grades are not required.
- Most universities show grades, proof of enrollment and current courses in the transcripts. If this information is missing from your transcript, then you must provide separate documentation.
- Transcripts must show the equivalent of at least one year of full-time postsecondary school attendance prior to Fall 2016. First-year graduate students must submit their undergraduate transcript, including the last two years of courses, degree, and date degree was awarded.
- Submitted transcripts must have all social security numbers, student identification numbers, and/or dates of birth removed (blanked out, blackened out, made illegible, etc.) prior to uploading into the application system.
- All documents must be combined into a single PDF file smaller than 10MB.
- Selection of at least one research project. Students can select up to five research projects from the Project Catalog and may pick multiple projects for any given Hosting Site. Applicants are strongly encouraged to select projects at different hosting facilities. You will need to sort the projects in order of preference. Applicants’ preferences will be taken into consideration, but it may not be possible for all applicants to be assigned to their first choice of project.
- An application status of “Submitted”.
- By March 1, 2017, undergraduate students attending an eligible community college must also provide proof of application to a 4-year institution for Fall 2017.
- By March 1, 2017, undergraduate seniors who will graduate by the summer of 2015 must provide proof of application to graduate school for Fall 2017.
Applications that do not include all items listed above by the application deadline will be flagged incomplete and will not be reviewed.
General Instructions for Document Submission
- Documents must be in PDF format.
- Documents must not be password protected.
- Documents must have any Social Security number (partial or complete), dates of birth (partial or complete), and Student identification numbers redacted from all pages. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that documents do not contain any of the above mentioned or other personally identifiable information (PII) that, if lost or compromised, could cause serious harm (including identity theft) to the applicant.
- All pages must be legible. Academic performance, including courses taken and grades in those courses, will be a factor in the evaluation of applications. Illegible transcripts may not be evaluated, and the overall review of your application may be affected.
- If you do not have an electronic copy of your transcript, you will need to scan your transcript and save it as a PDF. You may use your own scanner or go to a copy center for assistance. We understand that for some university transcripts the watermarks and other incorporated technologies make the photocopied and/or scanned transcripts very difficult to read. If you are not comfortable with the quality and legibility of a scanned electronic transcript, we strongly recommend that you acquire assistance at a copy center in producing a good, readable PDF.
Resources for Handling Transcripts are provided with more information on uploading, scanning, removing PII, converting documents to PDF and for examples of acceptable and unacceptable transcripts.