Apply NowThe Summer Research Team Program for Minority Serving Institutions is currently accepting applications. The EXTENDED Deadline to apply for this opportunity is December 26, 2016, 11:59PM, EST
1. Selection of a DHS Center(s) of Excellence and Research Activities of Interest
Faculty reviews information located on the DHS Centers of Excellence to determine the DHS Center(s) engaged in research areas of interest to him/her.
2. Submission of Faculty Application and Curriculum Vitae (CV)
3. Review of Faculty Application for Program Eligibility
ORISE reviews faculty application form, CV, and forwards application to the appropriate DHS Center(s) for review. See Eligibility page for Applicant and Institution eligibility requirements.
4. Review of Eligible Applications by DHS Center(s)
DHS Center(s) reviews faculty application form and CV. The Center(s) may contact faculty directly to obtain additional information pertaining to his or her research interests.
5. Identification of Possible Research Collaborators
If the DHS Center determines the proposed research is of interest to the DHS Center research mission, the DHS Center will identify a researcher with whom the team may collaborate with during the summer program.
6. Development of a Research Project and Research Proposal
The DHS Center researcher and faculty work together to define a research project, project goals and location where the research project will be conducted. The proposed research project must be reviewed and approved by the DHS Center before the Research Project Proposal is submitted to ORISE via Zintellect by February 6, 2017, 11:59 p.m. EST.
7. Assemble Research Team
- Faculty identifies one or two qualified students to complete the summer research team. Eligibility requirements for student team members should be considered when identifying team members along with background, skill set, work ethic and level of maturity.
- Faculty team members should ensure that all student team members meet the program requirements.
8. Submit Student Applications and Supporting Materials
Faculty and Students submit all required applications and supporting materials including letters of recommendation and transcripts as detailed in Application Requirements via Zintellect by January 31, 2017, 11:59 p.m. EST. The faculty team member is responsible for ensuring the student(s) completes and submits their application and all supporting materials on time.
9. Review, Selection, and Notification of Award Recipients
Application packages are reviewed by:
- ORISE for eligibility and completeness
- DHS Centers for strength and relevance to the DHS Center mission
- DHS for strength and other DHS relevant factors
DHS Center recommendations are forwarded to DHS S&T Office of University Programs for final team selection.
ORISE will notify teams receiving awards, their academic Dean and President, along with the DHS Center, by e-mail.