The goal of this seminar is to enhance the knowledge of poison center professionals about radiation emergencies. This will be accomplished by a webinar comprised of educational modules that will also be used as an enduring material.
At the conclusion of the session, the participant will be able to:
- Compare the different types of public health radiation emergencies.
- Discuss medical effects and management of radiation illnesses, including countermeasures.
- Identify updates to the coding scheme in the National Poison Data System regarding radiation exposures.
- Describe public health surveillance for and population monitoring after a radiation emergency.
- Discuss the role of poison centers in the public health response to radiation emergencies.
- Armin Ansari, PhD, Health Physicist, NCEH/EHHE/RSB
- Jeffrey Nemhauser, MD, Associate Director of Science, CDC/OPHPR
- Arthur Chang, MD, Medical Officer, CDC/NCEH/EHHE/HSB
- Susan Gorman, PharmD, MS, Associate Director for Science, CDC/OPHPR/DSNS
- Colleen Martin, MPH, Epidemiologist, CDC/NCEH/EHHE/HSB
- Erin Simms, MPH, Associate Research Analyst, CSTE
- Royal Law, MPH, Epidemiologist, CDC/NCEH/EHHE/HSB
- Leeanna Allen, MPH, MCHES, Health Education Specialist, ORISE
Origination Date: October 2, 2012
Renewal Date: October 2, 2014
Expiration Date: October 2, 2016
Hardware/Software: Computer Hardware; Internet connection; Browser
Target Audience: Poison center professionals, including medical toxicologists, clinical toxicologists, and specialists in poison information.
Format: These seminars are recorded webcasts.
Contact Information: Radiation Studies Branch, (770) 488-3800
CME: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME®) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention designates this enduring material for a maximum of 4.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
CNE: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is accredited as a provider of Continuing Nursing Education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
This activity provides 4.2 contact hours.
CEU: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is authorized by IACET to offer 0.4 CEU's for this program.
CPE: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
This program is a designated event for pharmacists to receive 0.45 Contact Hours in pharmacy education. The Universal Activity Number is 0387-0000-14-130-H04-P.
Category: This activity has been designated as Knowledge-Based.
In compliance with continuing education requirements, all presenters must disclose any financial or other associations with the manufacturers of commercial products, suppliers of commercial services, or commercial supporters as well as any use of unlabeled product(s) or product(s) under investigational use.
CDC, our planners, content experts, and their spouses/partners wish to disclose they have no financial interests or other relationships with the manufacturers of commercial products, suppliers of commercial services, or commercial supporters. Planners have reviewed content to ensure there is no bias.
Content will not include any discussion of the unlabeled use of a product or a product under investigational use with the exception of Dr. Nemhauser’s discussion on the health effects of radiation exposure. He will be discussing the use of filgrastim for acute radiation syndrome. Also, Dr. Gorman may describe the use of products under an investigational new drug protocol or emergency use authorization in an emergency setting.
CDC does not accept commercial support.
Method of Participation:
You may participate in the educational activity by viewing the program information above.
To evaluate this educational activity, receive a certificate/statement of credit/contact hours, to print-out an on-going transcript of all your TCEOnline CE activities for credits/contact hours, please go to: www.cdc.gov/TCEOnline.